Let's aim for our first goal at 15,000 and secure our China window at the pub!
Thanks to the support of our alumni, Thunderbird has been able to establish network of Centers of Excellence from Los Angeles to Tokyo, and Moscow to Nairobi to provide a truly global presence that sets Thunderbird apart by facilitating academic offerings in major commercial centers around the world. Our sights are now set to Shanghai, where we have invested in initial staff serving as a dedicated resource for alumni, potential students, and thought partners in China. This Center is positioned to develop new programs to teach students and executives at all levels and across geographies about management, leadership, the changing dynamics of doing business in China, and the growth of Chinese global firms.
Within the next year, the School aspires to expand the China Regional Center of Excellence with additional staff and resources; however, in order to make that possible, we turn to our incredible network of alumni for your support. In 2022, we aim to set up our Shanghai office space and staff it with 3 full time employees focuses on alumni relationship, student recruitment and executive education respectively. Will you join us and support Thunderbird’s expansion of the Regional Center of Excellence. Thunderbird is deeply grateful to you for being a part of our transformation and hope that you will consider this request, enabling Thunderbird's vision of a world with sustainable and equitable prosperity.
Thanks to the support of a private foundation, funds raised for the Shanghai Center from alumni will be matched in the same amount up to $250,000 USD. This private foundation is committed to promoting the U.S.-China relationship through higher education and is pleased to multiply their impact through this special matching contribution.
Below is a sample of what the current investment in the Shanghai Regional Center of Excellence has accomplished:
- Opening of the Shanghai Regional Center of Excellence. The Shanghai Regional Center of Excellence (COE) serves as a dedicated Thunderbird resource for alumni, potential students, and thought partners in China. This Center is positioned to develop new programs to teach students and executives at all levels and across geographies about management, leadership, the changing dynamics of doing business in China, and the growth of Chinese global firms. An added advantage is that the Shanghai Center is connected with Thunderbird's extensive network of regional centers of excellence throughout the world, located in 15 (and counting) metropolises across the world, deepening opportunities for cross-border and cross-cultural collaboration.
- Continue to build our strong Thunderbird alumni network in China. We all know that T-birds are known for having a global mindset and loves to travel. Currently we have over 500 T-bird alumni that reside in China, and that number is growing fast year by year. With the set up of the Shanghai COE, we can better serve our alumni community for both T-birds that live in China or T-birds that travel to China.
- Emerging Academic and Corporate Partnerships. Thanks to the time and effort our Thunderbird team had invested in China, several academic and corporate partnerships have been established. See below for details:
- Zhejiang University International Business School (ZIBS) – An MOU has recently been signed to establish the “Thunderbird-ZIBS Center on China in the World.” This partnership will have cooperation in joint research, executive education, pathway programs, and thought leadership.
- Hainan University – Active conversations to explore the establishment of a joint undergraduate degree program in Hainan.
- PwC China – An MOU has been signed to establish a partnership for the jointly created ESG certificate, in addition to other custom executive education programs.
- Huawei – Thunderbird and Huawei are exploring executive education programs with their senior staff on ethical global leadership and management.
- Delivering global leadership education to China. The Mandarin MALM Program launched and is specially designed to take Chinese students through a Mandarin and English based curriculum. Through Mandarin speaking faculty and cutting-edge technology, students in China experience a high-touch, interactive experience. The program started in October 2020. In just one year, we have enrolled over 50 students, offered 7 classes (10 classes are currently in development or planning, 17 classes in total), and opened 14 classes. Most exciting of all, our first cohort (Fall B 2020) will graduate this June (Summer A 2022).
The accomplishments mentioned above is a small example of what can be achieved through continued investment in the Shanghai Regional Center of Excellence. As Thunderbird continue to expand globally, those generous donation from alumni often becomes the seed of a remarkable project into the future. Please join us in this special moment and let us be proud of Thunderbird together!